Ten Signs that your Parents need some outside help in their home
1 June 2020
1. Changes in weight. One or both of your parents are losing weight. There are halfway-opened cans on the counter, refrigerated items left out overnight or old take out food containers sitting around for days or weeks.
2. Poor Housekeeping. There are bugs, garbage or clutter throughout the house.
3. Buising / Accidents. You notice frequent bruises. They're falling and not telling you. The stories they're telling you aren't making sense - you can tell they're hiding something.
4. Dents & Fender Benders. There are new dents in the garage or on the car or maybe they wont let you see their insurance policy documents, or you find traffic and parking tickets.
5. Confusion. They mention they got confused or lost while driving or just walking someplace. They blame others for accidents : " They turned right in front of me. I didn't see him. "
6. Changes in personal hygiene habits. You notice they're wearing the same clothes over and over again or are suddenly mismatched when they were always impeccable dressed. They smell of body odor or urine.
7. No light. No air. The house seems dark all the time. All they seem to do is sleep in their recliner or favorite chair. They're drinking or taking sleeping or pain pills - a lot. They don't talk about visiting their friends. They've stopped attending religious services or participating in volunteer activities.
8. Outbursts of Frustration. Their outburst are louder and more frequent. They're paranoid about someone stealing from them or trying to hurt them. They may even accuse family members or people they've known for years.
9. Decision Making. They've made some rash decision lately that worry you - giving a lot of money to a televangelist or charity, buying useless items or television, hoarding or exhibiting obsessive behavior.
10. Oblivious to routine. They are forgetting their normal routine, doctors appointments or medication. They're forgetting how to get home or where a room in the house is located. They avoid answering you, blame others for their confusion and make a dozen excuses.